My wife’s Chili recipe up in here, up in HERE…
· 3-4 Spanish onions, peeled and finely chopped (about 3 cups)
· 1 bunch of cilantro, coarsely chopped, stems included
· entire head of garlic, peeled and chopped fine
· 2 jalapeño peppers, stemmed, de-seeded and minced
· 1 large green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped medium
· 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced
· 2 lbs. pinto beans, rinsed, picked over, soaked overnight and drained
· Large can of whole tomatoes and their juice
· Small can tomato paste
· 2 lbs. ground chuck
· 2-3 bay leaves
· 1 TBSP dried oregano
· 3 TBSP chili powder
· 2 TBSP ground cumin
· 1 TBSP kosher salt
· 1 ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
· Pinch of ground cinnamon
· Pinch of ground cloves
· 1 oz. (about two 1” squares) dark chocolate
· 1 tsp. ground coffee
· ¼ cup corn meal
· Sour cream
· Grated cheddar cheese
· Tortilla chips
· chopped scallions
· chopped cilantro
· chopped tomatoes
· pico de gallo or hot sauce
Add the beans to a large, heavy bottomed pot with enough water to cover by 3”. Adde bay leaves. Bring to a boil, cover, then turn flame down to medium and cook until tender. May be done ahead of time. Reserve cooking liquid.
Place a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add ground beef, breaking it apart with wooden spoon, cook until meat starts to brown.
Drain all but 2-3 TBSP of fat from pan and add onions. Cook until they soften. Add garlic, peppers, tomato paste, spices, coffee, salt and pepper. Continue cooking until tomato paste starts to brown a bit. Add whole tomatoes and their liquid, break apart with hands or spoon. Stir.
Add chocolate and stir until dissolved. Add beans and their cooking liquid. Give a big stir to combine, give a big stir and let simmer for at least two hours, stirring occasionally.
Add corn meal and stir well. If it’s too watery, let simmer for several minutes uncovered until thick and hearty. Remove from heat, check for seasoning. Add more salt, if needed and let stand, covered, for 20 minutes before serving. Better if cooled, refrigerated, reheated and served the next day. Serve with garnishes on the side and enjoy.